Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Brigid's Red Soup

February First

**** **** **** **** **** **** ****

Hello everyone, 

I know I owe you two posts, a February First post and a full Fasting Moon post. I have great posts ready to go. I just have to write them. Unfortunately, writing blog posts has fallen to the bottom of my very long to-do list just below taking a shower, cleaning the kitchen or getting an oil change but well below writing lesson plans, showing up for middle school every day and designing an action research project. Oy vey! 

But today I can give you a little tidbit, the recipe for this year's Brigid's Red Soup. I have made a red lentil soup with red, orange and yellow ingredients in the first week of February for about five years now. Red is a sacred color to Brigid, the color of transforming birth and the color of transforming fire. This year's soup was super
Michael W. May's Red Lentil Soup
easy and particularly delicious, if I do say so myself. Feel free to change it anyway you would like by adding more vegetables, changing the seasoning or switching things up as your tastes desire. This soup is between you and the Goddess, after all.

*** *** ***

Crock Pot Brigid's Red Soup

1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 golden beets, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, washed and chopped
1 parsnip, washed and chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups red lentils
1 14.5 oz can of Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes, diced or crushed (or other tomatoes)
2 cups chicken broth (or more)
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp chile flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 bay leaf
Water to cover

Put the vegetables, lentils, spices, tomatoes and chicken broth in a crock pot and add enough water to cover the ingredients by at least an inch. Cook on low for 9 hours or more, until the lentils are completely soft and the vegetables are cooked through. Serve with sour cream or yogurt, sauerkraut or the garnish(es) of your choice. Praise the Goddess, and bless the spring!

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** 

February First 2009: February the First

February First 2010: Lovely Luz and Sweet Bridgit
This happens to be my all time favorite post from all two plus years of blogging. Please go check it out. 

Feburary First 2011: Brigid - The Goddess of Poetry

1 comment:

Elysia said...

Mmmm! That reminds me to go eat my red soup - homemade ribollita. Funny though, because I really associate the color yellow with Brigid :)